Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Desiderata

This one hit me hard and put me in my place...mostly because of where I happen to be at this point in my life. I think at times we all lose track of the fact that life retains its beauty in spite off all of the compromising circumstances we may encounter. This is why the last stanza rings true for me, because above all it is important that we do not lose sight of hope in the face of adversity. I cannot articulate well enough how important this is. For me, it manifests itself in faith... in people, in nature, and in God. The past year has put me through trials in all of these areas. But the remarkable thing is that I never lost faith in all three at the same time... and that remaining element would pull me back to the others. Perhaps this is why I am having such a difficult time now. When that faith is not returned, it hurts quite a bit more than it would if it were not there in the first place. I am rambling now, but my point is that it is important to remain true to oneself, and have faith in the fact that we are all children of the universe, as the poem says. We have a right to be here, and it will work out in the end... even if it's not exactly how we wanted it to be.

No comments: